Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Somewhere My Love

Here is my "Story of the Week". There are a lot of things that make this session unique, amazing and 'meant to be'...I even thought to myself, "Well, God, you made it happen".

The intern team went to Hospice on Tuesday (yesterday) instead of Thursday. We had to switch our schedules around a bit this week due to Western Regional Conference. Anywho...that is puzzle piece number one.

1. We don't usually go to hospice on Tuesdays...usually Thursdays.

I saw a client who I have visited before and I took our new Junior-Intern with me to observe. This was her first observation! I charted and did everything properly. I told the Junior to go with my co-intern for the next session so that she could see her as well.

2. I went to the next session by myself...not that that isn't normal, but I didn't have Junior with me.

As I went to see client in bed A, the curtain to bed B was pulled. While I was singing, I could hear a priest/minister say a prayer for the patient in bed B. After he was done, he left the room, greeted me on his way out. I continued to play music for bed A and when I was done, I could hear family members of bed B say, "Mom, do you hear that beautiful music?" As I finished up my time with bed A, I peeked my head over the curtain and asked, "Would you like me to play some music for you?" The family member's faces lit up. They couldn't have been more pleased.

The first song they asked me to play was "Somewhere My Love" from Dr. Zhivago.

3. "Somewhere My Love" was my Grandpa's favorite song. :)



I said, "Oh, that was my Grandfather's favorite song". The daughter said, "That was my mom's favorite song, too". Unfortunately, I didn't know the words, but I sure could hum the thing. The family seemed pleased. About 10 seconds into humming, the pt. relaxed. You could tell that she could hear the music, she was at ease.

I played a few more songs that the daughter and other family members asked for. I mentioned that I had a spiritual song book (remembering that they were just praying moments before). They requested "How Great Thou Art".

4. "How Great Thou Art" is one of my favorite hymns.

As I sat there playing quietly in the background, singing an amazing song about God, the pt. passed. The daughter was sobbing, the family members praying, holding the pt's hand. I thought to myself, "I'm holding up pretty well..." and right as I thought about that, tears started forming. I had to look away, concentrate on the music. The daughter said such amazing things about her mother and I could tell that although she was mourning the loss that she would make it through because her mom is with God.

A nurse came in to check the pt. and look for a heartbeat. She nodded "yes" that the pt. had passed. Surreal. As I left the room, the daughter and other family member (I think it might have been an aunt) thanked me for the music. They hugged me and said that she had always "loved music".


It's moments like these that make me think about my career. It was a tough moment, but one that I will likely never forget. My motto, if you know me at all, is "whatever happens, happens for a reason". I think this session happened for a reason. I don't think, I know. It has once again reaffirmed my career path, my constant hard work and dedication towards perfecting my musical skills, therapeutic skills. And maybe this session happened because my Grandpa is watching down on me :) It was his bday on April Fools day.

Tomorrow, we head to Vegas for the Western Regional Music Therapy Conference. Barbara reminded us today that, "Whatever happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas". I should have told her it does...until it ends up on facebook...or my blog ;)

http://wramta.org/conference2010.html

1 comment:

  1. That is so beautiful, Brianna! I'm so glad you had that experience... it is truly amazing what music can do. Have fun in Vegas and don't go too crazy :) miss ya!

    ReplyDelete