Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Rejuvenation

Being a relatively new music therapist (6 months!), I find myself to get into a slump every three months. I'm not sure if this will be an ongoing trend, but something I have already picked up on. I started my new job at Music Therapy Services of Cincinnati in October, took a week off between Christmas and New Years and then just took another week off at the end of March for my spring break.

At the end of each three month period, I am pooped...emotionally, physically, and my energy and creativity is almost non-existent. Being a therapist and working so closely with children and adults that require my full attention, I feel like it is unhealthy to work in these conditions.

This is my first day back at work...and yes, I am tired, but already excited for new ideas that are pouring out of my head. You know that dread of going back to work, right? Well, I dreaded it just as much as anyone, but when I saw my clients again and the breakthroughs they make each week, makes me love and appreciate my job and work.

Also...this helps, too. A great boss who greets me with flowers when I return to work!



What do you do to refresh yourself as a therapist?

1 comment:

  1. Learning to take time to physically rest is very helpful for me. But so is physical exercise. The hardest lesson for me to learn was to listen to my body. That helped me be more effective at work.

    ReplyDelete