Wednesday, March 16, 2011

St. Patrick's Day

I found this song (set to the tune of "This is the Way We Wash Our Hands") in my boss's huge "Holiday Songs" binder. However, it talked about things my preschoolers would not understand...like corned beef and cabbage, and 'top of the morning', etc. I adapted it and this is what I came up with.

Two goals we are working on:

Numbering/sequencing of events
Body parts/naming and finding

This song is not only fun, but addresses these goals.

Lyrics (chords are G and D7):

This is a song for St. Patrick's day, St. Patrick's day, St. Patrick's day.
This is a song for St. Patrick's day, St. Patrick's day is a comin'.

Put the shamrock on your belly, on your belly, on your belly.
Put the shamrock on your belly, St. Patrick's day is a comin'.

Put the shamrock on your finger, on your finger, on your finger.
Put the shamrock on your finger, St. Patrick's day is a comin'.

Put the shamrock on your elbow, on your elbow, on your elbow.
Put the shamrock on your elbow, St. Patrick's day is a comin'.

This is a song for St. Patrick's day, St. Patrick's day, St. Patrick's day.
This is a song for St. Patrick's day, St. Patrick's day is a comin'.



Each student/participant gets a turn to pick three different body parts out of the bag. This allows for suspense and gives them a 'choice'. They then get to turn around to the group and place the "MAGIC SHAMROCK" on the appropriate body parts. After the 1st body part, I'll say, "What's next?" It is the classes turn to tell us what is next!

Adaptations: Instead of having one person do it at a time, you could make shamrocks for every participant. I have a class of 5-6 so everyone gets a turn.

The shamrock is a stock image I found on the internet, cut out, laminated, and then I taped a shape drum mallet to the back (nope, didn't have a popsicle stick)! Resourceful if I do say so myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment