Saturday, April 30, 2011

You're Nominated!

That's the email I got about a month ago from Hamilton Choices, Cincinnati's Choices program. Ohio Choices is a "nonprofit organization, [that] coordinates support for youth involved in multiple systems and their families." I have a number of clients that I work with who are currently a Hamilton Choices client, which means music therapy is funded by Hamilton Choices. These clients are by far my toughest clients because they have a number of mental health and emotional issues. Although they are my toughest clients, I have learned the most by working with them. Not only do I see them in my music therapy sessions, but I get to go to their team meetings and be a part of their care team. Attending these meetings has been key in my growth as a therapist. Working with school teachers, therapists, doctors, psychologists, parents, and care managers in these meetings, I am able to better understand what the client is going through, start to understand their everyday life, and get feedback from very important people.

On Thursday, Hamilton Choices held their annual award ceremony. Three of my clients from Music Therapy Services performed, and one client was a Hamilton Choices client. One of his goals is self-expression...and boy did he express! It was tons of fun to see him perform in front of 80-100 people. I'm a proud music therapist :)

I won the "Innovative" award. The award states:

Brianna Shaffer build[s] "Innovative relationships and support[s] networks for youth with emotional or behavioral disabilities and their families."




I am very honored.

No comments:

Post a Comment