Saturday, May 7, 2011

Get the Kids Moving

My boss just sent me a great link to Beyonce and Michelle Obama's anti-obesity campaign. I do a few Movement and Music groups, which focus on, what else...moving to the music. These particular clients live rather sedentary lifestyles, making them great candidates for this group. My entire sessions are planned to keep them moving and get their heart rates pumping. We have done dances to Elvis, The Black Eyed Peas and are currently working on a Michael Jackson dance to "The Way You Make Me Feel." My first steps in creating a dance are:

- Get the client's input - What songs do you want to dance to? I usually bring in three songs and then let them vote on which one they want.

- Watch the music video (if appropriate) - This way, they can see the moves the singer and back up dancers are doing and get an idea of dance moves they might want to do.

- Let each client decide on at least one dance move - It's their dance, right? Let them decide what moves they want to do! :)

- Write the moves down, or video - I can't tell you how much this helps from week to week to remember the dance steps...I'm one to forget!

- Rehearse - It will take them some time to get the sequencing and moves down, as well as to get the dance moves in sync with each other.

- Record - Once the dance is mastered, use your handy dandy flip camera and record their performance.

- Share - Make DVDs of their dance so they have a final product to show their families, peers, and support staff. Even better, perform it for an audience.

Beyonce has adapted her song "Get Me Bodied," and made a video and song called "Move Your Body."

Click here for the link to the article and videos.


There is also an instructional video to help teach your students/clients the dance moves. I can't wait to share this with my clients--they will be excited to learn from Beyonce and they really enjoy watching videos as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment