Friday, January 22, 2010

3 Weeks Down!

This week flew by! The rain made our week a bit inconvenient, but overall...a good week.

Wednesday

I went to Teri, Inc. Led a Hello song and 1 intervention. The day went by so quickly! Thank goodness, because when we did our orientation and observations, the day felt sooo long! When in action it goes by like a snap! It was fun and I am learning a lot from Terri, the Music Therapist there.

After Teri, Inc., we had D (rett's syndrome), then had to head BACK to the office! geeze. Wednesday nights for the next 6 weeks we have Polster group which is a Scripp's funded Music as Medicine class for women with cancer. It was pouring all day Wednesday and we didn't know if anyone would show up! We lugged all our equipment, in the rain mind you, and 1 person showed up! 5 on 1 service..hahah. Barbara goes to Polster sessions. It was pretty cool though. It was an overview of what is to come the next 5 weeks of the class. We went over drumming, breathing techniques, relaxation exercises, toning, and other cool stuff. It wasn't until 8pm when I left the office.

Thursday

Glenbrook hospice. 2 of my patients that I saw last week passed away. It is really sad to think about it, but at least I know that I helped either ease their pain, put a smile on their face, or just sing them a song. M, the client I talked about last week (the one who wasn't breathing for like 30 seconds at a time) passed, as did another woman who we saw with her family.

Supervision with Barbara was on Thursday! We went to Panera, had a nice lunch, and then sat there for another 2 hours discussing our internship: expectations, schedule, projects, case study, student competencies/evaluations, documentation, interns....the list goes on and on. It was overall a good meeting.

Back to the office at around 2:45 to finish up Inventory! We finally finished!!! Left the office at 5:00pm!

After leaving the office, I got a lovely message from Aunt Ronna inviting me to meet her, Henry and the kids for din din at Islands! It worked out perfectly--perfect timing, perfect restaurant, and perfect company! I was soo glad I was able to make it and not have to work LATE for one day out of the week.

I fell asleep for the last 10 minutes of Grey's Anatomy. The rain started up at about 9:30ish and made me really tired! I slept like a rock.


Today/Friday

We had TACO today. Stephanie and I did... TACO stands for Third Avenue Charitable Organization. TACO serves breakfast to the homeless every Monday and Friday mornings. Resounding Joy (Barbara's non-profit) has a contract with them for the 2nd and 4th Fridays of the month to provide community-based,recreational music. So..we show up, and guess what? No music because of the weather. bummer.

Back to the office. Did some hospital floors, Parkinson's group, lunch. Stephanie and Bahareh had to plan for McDonald's on Monday, so I started inputting our monthly data into the computer. Then, at 2:30pm I left for D's session, where I would meet Desiree (She goes to Teri, Inc. on Friday so we meet at D's). After that---back to the office for our intern dinner!

The 4 of us (Bahareh, Stephanie, Desiree, and I) went to Fidel's for dinner. It is a Mexican restaurant. So delicious. I got the special. Shrimp tacos! Yum yum. It was nice to get out of the office, get to know each other and let loose. The strawberry margarita was delicioso!

Now, here I am...in the present! I felt so behind not blogging the last couple nights; however, I have been too tired and drained to rethink my days! haha.

I should get signed off of documentation next week. That means I will be able to go on the hospital floors by myself, as opposed to with a Senior Intern. fun stuff.

I'm off to bed. Happy Weekend!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. FIDELS!!!!! When I was working down there, we'd have "staff meetings" there all of the time! Best happy hour margaritas AND mariachi band. I'm glad you enjoyed it! Fidels has a special place in my heart. Its fun to hear about these places. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww...you know Fidels?! That is super exciting. yess..we heard two mariachi bands and the second ones were really blunt in saying "donation? dinero por favor". geeze. great margs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fidel's is SO good! I'm quite envious you got to eat there. Ryan and I will likely be in Carlsbad Friday night with his dad and my family. Perhaps we can work some dinner plans out. I'll let you know what is decided :)

    ReplyDelete