Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Interns Schminterns

Oh, the life of the "intern" has begun. Desiree, the other new junior intern, and I met our Senior interns. They are very nice and basically took us through our next 6 months. They talked about hours needed (1040 in 6 months), our daily schedules, office work, etc. etc. Basically, diarrhea of the mouth. Although there are tons of things to get done, start, and accomplish, I am not stressed yet. phew. Keyword: yet.

We toured the hospital with Barbara (our director), had a TB shot, blood test for MMR, and had lunch in the hospital cafeteria in about 1 hour flat. Then it was off to tour the hospital with the Seniors. We will be doing bedside work on floors 4, 6, 7, and the NICU. We were told about the East wing and West wing, the differences, how to figure which one is which, blah blah. The view from the 7th floor of Scripps La Jolla is beautiful.

Afterwards, Desiree and I had to start inventory of the office. A long and time-consuming process. While going through the books and manuals, I came across "Documents Schmocuments: If It's Not Documented, It Didn't Happen". Us MT's from Chapman can totally name the author. Right? I read the title and immediately thought of Dr. Luce--once looking down to find the author's name, I was right. Documentation in the MT profession is so important, for the title's reason exactly. MusicWorx has its own way to properly chart and document sessions--something else I will be learning.

It will probably take us at least 2-3 weeks to complete our inventory task. Once we finished, we left the office at approximately 4:40pm. When I hit the outside, for the first time in a while I took in the smells around me. The air was damp, almost ocean-like, and I could smell the trees. This was when I pinched myself. We live in a truly beautiful place. T, I love you but do not miss the bone-chilling cold weather of Cincy. ;)

Tomorrow, off to TERI, Inc. I will be working with children with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Orientation is Wed and Fri from 9am-2pm. Wish me luck.

xoxo

2 comments: