Thursday, January 14, 2010

Such a lovely place, such a lovely face...

Wednesday came and went quickly. Desiree started the morning with inventory and then did hospital rounds until lunch. I went to the 5th East with Bahareh. It is a new floor for us--we thought we weren't supposed to do work on this floor--until we realized they brought up ICU patients from the 1st floor. Overflow, basically. 1st, 3rd, and 5th floors are all ICU floors. While working with ICU patients, we have to first read their vital signs (found in the nurses station on a large computer screen), and document it into "Pre-test" in our documentation book BEFORE we begin our session. This is in hopes to raise/lower (whatever is appropriate) certain levels during music therapy treatment. The first thing we do once our session is over is stop our timer (we time our session for billing purposes) and then go read the vital signs and document them under "Post-test".

I watched half of American Idol on Tuesday, finished it up on Wednesday. Wednesday night I watched half....when will I finish the other half? Not sure. I don't think it's as much fun without Paula.

Today I met the team at Glenbrook for our two hour hospice rounds. 10 out of 12 beds were full today. Sandy, a very nice nurse, explained all the patients to us--usually she will recommend where to go first based on need, if family is present, if awake, etc. Stephanie and I visited a patient with 5 family members present. Sandy said that her death was "imminent". Family had just flown from Texas to be there. We sang religious songs, as they were Christian.

Stephanie and I also saw M. He was lying in bed, unresponsive. Stephanie sang Hotel California. M was not hooked up to any machines. At one point he stopped breathing. Stephanie and I locked eyes...we were a bit freaked. About 30 seconds later, the heavy breathing began again. Stephanie asked if I wanted to play, so I played EM, am, dm in sequence, finger picking. Stephanie and I vocalized/hummed. It was really beautiful. While we were doing this, M's doctor came in to check in. She said that M had been like this for almost a week and she was surprised he was still "hanging on". She said to us that the music was beautiful and that we were "helping him pass to the other side". She came in right at the time he wasn't taking breaths, put her hand over his heart, and didn't feel much of anything. Then...another breath. She couldn't believe it either.

After hospice, back to the office for lunch. Bahareh and I ate together. It was nice getting to know more about her. At 2pm it was time for supervision with Noelle. Noelle works for Music Worx and for Resounding Joy (Barbara's companies). Every other Thursday I will have supervision with her on the hospital floors. Today she gave us a tour of the ICU, 1st floor. There are even codes to get in...and I know it! haha. I feel so important! hehe. Tour was good and we got 5 referrals while down there. Stephanie and I will go to ICU tomorrow to follow up with the referrals.

Tonight...Grey's Anatomy with Aunt Ronna! Yay! She brought mahi mahi for dinner...yummy. Kambria said it smelled like, "dog food" so she ate chicken. haha.

Tomorrow is Friday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment