Sunday, January 10, 2010

Thurs/Fri Update

So, I'm already behind, but have caught my family up this weekend with my new adventure. I already got harassed about eating too many snacks, saying I have long days and if I'm sleeping enough. I am fine, don't worry please. My snacks are healthy, my days are long to me because I haven't actually WORKED my entire life, and I sleep plenty. My mom says I need to say goodbye to naps. I will not...if I find time for a nap and need one, I will take one :)

Geeze, mom.

Moving on...Thursday started at Glenbrook, a senior living community with a hospice wing. We work 2 hours in Hospice. It is a 6 room, 12 bed facility. I shadowed Stephanie and Bahareh and saw three clients. What an experience. I think I will really enjoy my time at Hospice.

We saw a private client with Rett's syndrome. It is only found in women (because it is on the X chromosome) and is a degenerative disease. We will see this client twice a week.

Thursday ended with hospital floors. Stephanie and I saw a client who was in a motorcycle accident and had lost his right leg. The client played us a song that they had written. Music is very powerful.

Ronna welcomed me when I got home on Thursday night to delicious Mac and Cheese! Yummy! We wanted to watch Grey's Anatomy together but I guess it's not on yet..boo.


On Friday, Desiree and I had our orientation to the adult program at TERI, Inc. The adult program starts at 22 years old on upward. The facility is very nice with different classrooms such as art, wood shop, a nice outdoor area for playing, swinging, eating, and a huge gym for working out.

After visiting our private client, we ended Friday at the hospital. I shadowed Stephanie and we visited a client who has asceding paralysis. She is in a great deal of pain in her feet so we did a relaxation excerise using a Kalimba and a relaxational script. Stephanie did a great job and the client said "I feel much more relaxed" after the session. YAY! That is exactly the reaction we wanted. After learning how to chart and bill the hospital, it was time for home.

I met Erica and the triplets at Temple at around 7pm. There was traffic, of course, so I met them at temple as opposed to going home and driving with them. Kambria was singing in the girls choir. Zachary and Jason sat on each side of me and we had a front row seat to watch Kambria. Zach leaned in towards me and asked, "Have you ever been to temple?" I responded, yes. He then continued, "It's pretty boring, isn't it?" OH...the things kids say. I told him to "enjoy the music" and that he could rest his head on my shoulder. Kambria did a fantastic job and looked great in her favorite outfit! ;)


Saturday was an early morning, too. No sleeping in? Not until Sunday I suppose. Resounding Joy is a non-profit that Dr. Barbara Reuer founded. It provides music to the community, not necessarily music therapy, but more recreational, creative, and community-based music. All of us interns went to the Farmer's Market somewhere in San Diego and played a Drum Circle. It was for the kids. Some of the kids jumped right in and others were a little skeptical. All-in-all, it was a great jamming session and was fun. It wrapped at noon then we had to load all the instruments and drop them off at the office.

By 1pm, I was on my way home. It took me exactly an hour to get home from La Jolla...traffic was moving! Lucky me. This weekend has provided me the opportunity to take NAPS and sleep in. I have been practicing my guitar and have been playing the piano for enjoyment. Chris and Sara are watching the Packers. Grandma is here taking a nap. I must get the nap thing from Grandma. haha. It all makes sense now.

That's it for me...back to Carlsbad around 7ish, of course after a homemade dinner from mom and a visit with my in-laws! :)

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment