Monday, January 18, 2010

Here comes the Rain do do do do...

I love going to sleep when it is raining outside. Something about the repetitive noise and trickling outside my window is reassuring and soothing. Traffic was okay today, even with the rain 1) because it was MLK day, people were off of work (cough*not me*cough) and 2) because I left early and came home late. Left the house at 7am and left the office at 6:30ish which is before and after the traffic rush. I was worried the roads might be unbearable with the rain. Lucky me.

McDonalds Center: Lyric Analysis and Songwriting. We analyzed "Let it Be" and then split into two groups to insert our own words/lyrics. The whole group enjoyed the session, lots of clients were excited about the song choice (yay!), and the group came together to write a song that they could call theirs.

Integrative Center: (last Monday I went to Parkinson's--every other week I will be at Integrative) 10:30am, group where people are changing their lifestyle. Mainly people who have suffered massive heart attacks, weight gain/loss, death, abuse etc. Could be any reason and any age. Youngest kid is 16, P, and P is a very bright young man. He saw he had a problem and made a choice to move from Alaska to join this program with his dad. Dad did the program 2 years earlier when he suffered a massive heart attack. The theme today was Lyric Analysis and Creative Arts. Lots of tears.

Then it was time for some quick office work. Barbara gave me the task of sharpening the colored pencils. This is the time when I tell myself that I am an "intern". haha. 12:30 the other girls came back from Parkinson's and it was time for lunch and symposium. Remember, Mondays are the only days where Barbara is with us the whole day. We have a social lunch..then after we eat we discuss McDonald Center session, go over our schedule for the week, patient highlights (Chapman kids...Cathy's story of the week! my favorite thing ever), and assigned reading. This week we had to read two of Barbara's articles that were published in the Journal of Music Therapy.

3:30 it was time to go back to the office. I was assigned, or maybe I volunteered, to document all the quotes clients and patient's have said during/after a music therapy session. I had, along with help from Desiree, to find pertinent, meaningful quotes that clients said throughout all of 2009. It took a couple hours, but it got finished and sent to Barbara at 6:30ish. They had to be done today and sent off to Becky (another Musicworx past intern and Chapman grad!) so she could finish inputting data. Fun stuff.

Tomorrow we have to be at the office at 9am (whooo whoa!) for hospital rounds. We have quite a few referrals to get to tomorrow am.

1 month from today I will be in Cincinnati! The countdown continues. Rande--you were right, 24 weeks left! haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment